Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Life is But a Weaving


My sister likes ferns and I wanted to try to embroider, so I made this for her Christmas gift. It's not the most beautiful thing I've seen or made, but it is the first thing I've embroidered so I'm quite proud of it! It took a LONG time to create but I love it. 



When I showed this to Carson, I first showed him the back just to see what he'd say. "It's beautiful, Babe!" he exclaimed. I showed him the front then, but the more I looked at the back, the more I actually liked it. All those strings and strands. It reminds me of a poem by Corrie ten Boom that I read when I visited her house in Amsterdam a few years ago. They had it hanging with a framed 
piece of embroidery in a frame with two glass sides, so you could see the finished piece and the work on the back. I love this poem's simplicity and reminder for life.

My Life is But a Weaving

“My life is but a weaving
Between my God and me.
I cannot choose the colors
He weaveth steadily.

Oft’ times He weaveth sorrow;
And I in foolish pride
Forget He sees the upper
And I the underside.

Not ’til the loom is silent
And the shuttles cease to fly
Will God unroll the canvas
And reveal the reason why.

The dark threads are as needful
In the weaver’s skillful hand
As the threads of gold and silver
In the pattern He has planned

He knows, He loves, He cares;
Nothing this truth can dim.
He gives the very best to those
Who leave the choice to Him.”


Maybe I should have included this poem with the pillow when I gave it to her, but Becca, I hope that my silly attempt at embroidery is a small reminder to trust the Lord when all you see is the seemingly strange workings in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts, ideas and questions! If you'd like to contact us additionally, email lindsay.bay@gmail.com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails Follow Me on Pinterest