Monday, June 9, 2008

how sweet and how profitable

O how I love Your law!
It is my meditation all the day.
I love how this is just overflowing with emotion - I LOVE YOUR LAW, God! It says... I meditate on it, it's on my mind, it's important to me, I think about it during the day! I think that meditation on God's word is proof that we really love it.

Your commandments make me wiser than my enemies
For they are ever mine.

I love the possessive pronouns in this verse. YOUR commandments...are ever MINE. I admit that I may not have the answers or be smarter than those that come up against me, but Your word is a lamp to my feet, a light to my path (Psalm 119:105). I follow You and realize that You come up ahead every time.

I have more insight than all my teachers,
For Your testimonies are my meditation.

This too is a recognition that I don't have it on my own... but I carefully dwell on the things He's done - and because I have the understanding that comes from Him, I have more insight than a teacher.

I understand more than the aged,
Because I have observed Your precepts.

Even those who have seen a lot cannot compare to what I have observed from meditating and looking at His Word.

I have restrained my feet from every evil way,
That I may keep Your word.

Not only do I hear Your word and see application in it, I use it and am proactive about carrying out what the Scripture says. My love for God's law will keep me from evil.

I have not turned aside from Your ordinances.
For You Yourself have taught me.
This verse is too cool. In my head I have this image of Samuel and Eli in the temple. I'm not sure why, but I guess it's the older man demonstrating, the young boy carefully observing... and as he watches, he sees the master's focus and commitment, he aspires to live likewise. He will not turn away.

How sweet are Your words to my taste!
Yes, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
I love verses that are full of praise to God. This one sounds like the writer is overwhelmed by God... also overflowing with emotion and praise for God... but it makes me think: do I make the time in my ordinary prayers to praise Him and tell Him how wonderful His words are to me?

From Your precepts I get understanding;
Therefore I hate every false way.

I hate every false way because I love the Truth, I know it and I have it.
I like this too... coming right off "how sweet are Your words" we move right into... "from them, I gain understanding". Not only do we gain more insight from His words than we do from all others that teach, we love them, they are sweet to our taste... who would have thought, the knowledge that transcends all others would also be the sweetest taste in our mouths.

[Psalm 119:95-104]

5 comments:

  1. Wow, this is very convicting. I can't say I relate to it on the emotional plane as you do, but using it as a mirror, it shows me where I fall short and what I need to pray about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you read and apply scripture!

    I am still waiting on your book....
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow I missed this post! but seriously...we've had the talk about you putting together a devotional...you've already got so much material! May as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks people!
    Wow... the whole book/devotional thing comes up every once in awhile... it would definitely be a fun thing for someday... I was going through my old Xanga posts and copied some to a word doc just in case I decided I ever wanted some material for said book - maybe one day, y'all...

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts, ideas and questions! If you'd like to contact us additionally, email lindsay.bay@gmail.com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails Follow Me on Pinterest