Remember the maxi skirt I made? Well, I wear that thing all the time (leggings under it when it's chilly) and decided that it wouldn't be a bad thing to have a few more to cycle through this summer. Claire agreed and so we set out to make ourselves some skirts!
We bought fabric at Jo-Ann Fabrics earlier in the week (we used 40% off coupon codes on our phones) and got together on a Friday night to put them together. We bought 1 3/8 yards of fabric, and could have gotten away with less (we're short) but it was nice to have the room.
We began by painstakingly assembling a pattern, by which I mean "tracing skirts we already had". I had some chalk on hand so we used that.
Then we cut them out.
Then tested our stitching on a piece of scrap fabric.
Then took deep breaths and began. Claire sewed hers shut at the top to start, which proved to me that we are kindred spirits when it comes to crafts.
We made sloppy casings for elastic, measured and tried them on and - done! I was going to crop this picture from our necks down to spare you from seeing me like this, but whatever. Look at the SKIRTS.
As you can see, mine was too long and baggy. This was a result of me overthinking things. Later in the week, I borrowed Claire's original skirt to trace and make mine fit better and trimmed the bottom a little. I've worn it several times since and so far, so good! (and I went out and bought fabric for a gray one recently too - they're pretty great)