Sunday, September 12, 2010

joy: for a reason.

[Okay, if you know anything about me at all, it's that I love re-reading old journals. Honestly, and not pridefully at all, I'm encouraged and reminded of God's truths when I do read what I've penned before. With that in mind, I thought I'd share something from this past March.





Obviously the last couple of paragraphs are dated, but I included them as I typed this out because I thought it was important to have that illustration. Because I know I need to be reminded of this ALL the time. I probably even struggled with it today.]

The more I've considered it, the more I've realized that we are where we are for a reason. We came to Washington for a year, semester, bachelor's degree, marriage certificate (...). But the thing is, God has us here. Something in our lives made us apply, got us here and got us through the semester. Whatever we did before and whatever will happen when we leave isn't the point.  The point is, I am in Washington.

I came up with a cheesy but workable illustration of a book. Let's go ahead and call God the Author (and perfecter!) of the this story. Anyway, it's organized into chapters. there are seasons. There's childhood, initial faith in Christ, first steps in following Him, high school, different towns and homes - things we've done for a portion or chunk  of our lives - small eras to reminisce about. Far too many of us are trying to read the previous chapter and the current one at the same time. We want to re-read that - but the story goes on. The character in a book does new things, "Finds herself", makes amazing friends at school not better than but just as great as those at home, and actually LIVES her life. 


God has us where we are without accident. He's not even a little bit shocked about it, and has brought us here.  To live vicariously through chapter one when chapter four is going on doesn't work. It doesn't allow God to work the same way. It's selfish.

I'm writing this down partly because we talked through this last night, and partly because it came to mind today. It's March 10th, I'm getting married May 22nd, and I really want it to come. But that's a little over 2 months. And I'm not married right now. I'm in Olympia with Carson's parents, engaged. I am HERE without accident. I know this. 

Knowledge is power. I want to use that power with excellence, wisely. Since I know I'm here on purpose, I ned to live AND think that way. I can prepare for marriage without neglecting my time here. As far as chapters go, this is a short one. I really see God using the short length to test my patience shorter-term and refine my contentedness in Him.
Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and of going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Philippians 4:11-13

1 comment:

  1. So good!
    I don't have anything creative to say, but this is true, and thank you. And praise God! He knows all these things are hard for little earthlings, and He gives grace and strength and peace to us when we seek Him.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts, ideas and questions! If you'd like to contact us additionally, email lindsay.bay@gmail.com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails Follow Me on Pinterest