Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Cilantro-Lime Rice

We love Chipotle. The restaurant shares a building with the store where I work AND one that shares a building with our church... all of which makes it VERY difficult to resist.
But we are trying not to eat out as much and trying to eat a bit healthier, so one night, I decided to make a variation of the burrito bowls we love so much.

I made guacamole in the food processor. I used avocados, cilantro, garlic, lime juice and two handfuls of spinach (you can't even taste it). I would normally add a red onion, but I didn't have any.

I looked up a recipe for cilantro-lime brown rice and found this one. I varied ingredients according to what I had on hand.
You'll Need:
1 tsp butter
1 C brown rice (I just used regular, but I'll try another kind next time)
1 3/4 C water
1 lime (I used the kind in the squeezy lime-shaped bottle, but I will use a real one in the future)
1/4 C cilantro (we eyeballed it)
1/2 tsp. salt

To Do:
Melt butter over medium heat in medium pot. Add rice and the zest of one lime (again, I didn't have lime zest) and toast.
Add water, bring to a boil, cover and turn on low.
Simmer until rice has soaked up the water (20-25 minutes), stir in the cilantro and lime juice.

Enjoy!

Carson dished up the burrito bowls. Rice first, then black beans, sour cream, guac and cheese. He went a liiiiittle crazy with the sour cream on this one.
This was a really easy and fairly cheap and healthy (minus that crazy sour cream) meal for us with a lot of room for variation. Add cooked meat, a little salsa (I make this one all the time and it would have been perfect), fresh veggies and whatever else you'd like. Carson topped his with some tortilla chips!

This made great lunch leftovers for the next day (the rice made four servings, so next time I'll make more of that and we'll have lots of weekday lunches!).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts, ideas and questions! If you'd like to contact us additionally, email lindsay.bay@gmail.com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails Follow Me on Pinterest