Friday, July 13, 2012

Salsa and Chicken Packets

Here are a few things whipped up this past summer that I didn't share, but I should have.

Fresh Salsa
The first is this salsa. It's from a cookbook that my mom made for me before our wedding (she used this site, if you're interested). This particular one is adapted just a little from the original, which belongs to Kristine. It's colorful and beautiful and I've had fun making it for Carson on several occasions (I'm allergic to tomatoes, so I can really only enjoy the color and the smells).


Fresh Salsa
2 Jalepenos (Carson likes his spicy, so I scrape the seeds out of one of them, but not the other), choped
1 Red Onion, diced
2 Tomatoes, diced
1 Bunch of Cilantro, diced
1 Yellow Pepper, chopped
1 Red Pepper, chopped

Mix it all together, refrigerate for an hour or so to let the flavors mix and enjoy! This is a great recipe for the summer, when all of these things are fresh and cheap, but thanks to the produce section, it could really work for any time of year. Carson LOVES when I make this and really hates to share it, so it must be pretty great! 

Chicken Packets
The next thing I have to share is this recipe that I remember LOVING as a kid. Somehow, I remembered that I loved it and decided to make it for Carson to see if my tastes had changed and if he'd like it. There are very few things that he doesn't like, so this was a hit with him too. I've only made it once, but it's very easy!


Chicken Packets
Serves 4
2 cups of cooked chicken, chopped
1/2 package of cream cheese (4oz?)
2tbsp milk
2 packages crescent rolls (the ones with 8 in each)
1/4 C melted butter
1/2 C breadcrumbs
Optional: Ranch seasoning

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a baking sheet. Unroll your crescent rolls and create four rectangles (there are 4 already, with a diagonal perforation. Press that perforation together). Set these on your baking sheet
2. Mix first three ingredients together, with the ranch seasoning, if you so desire. Evenly divide the chicken mixture between the four rectangles.
3. Open the second package of crescent rolls and make your four rectangles again, only this time, set those on top of the others. Pinch the two sets of rolls together on the edges like a pop tart.
4. Brush melted butter on top of your packets and sprinkle the seasoned breadcrumbs. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts, ideas and questions! If you'd like to contact us additionally, email lindsay.bay@gmail.com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails Follow Me on Pinterest