Tuesday, February 21, 2012

French Onion Soup

Mmm... take a look at that! It's not the best picture (the lighting in our kitchen is pretty bad) but it still looks so good to me. French Onion Soup is one of my favorites, most likely for the cheese and bread, but I love the flavors also. Anyway, my mom shared this recipe with me when I got married, so I thought I'd make it for the first time.

So first, I cut up four large onions. No big deal, except that with onions, it always looks like a big deal. I didn't get my heart broken, I just chopped up onions for soup. Next time, I'll remember to have Carson do this.

Since I didn't want to wipe my eyes with my hands, I put them onto my arm for some relief. Didn't factor in how it would look.

Anyway, I was over it by the time I woke up the next morning.
And thankfully almost over it enough while cooking the onions.

In fact, when the soup was done and I topped it with bread and cheese, my eyes felt just fine.


And a short time later, I feasted my eyes on this and completely forgot about how I felt before. Yum.

Double Cheese French Onion Soup
Courtesy of my mother
Serves eight

You'll need:
4 large onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
1/4 cup (half a stick) butter, melted
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 10 3/4oz can chicken broth
1 10 3/4oz can beef broth
2 cups water
1/4 cup white cooking wine
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 inch sliced French bread, toasted
8 slices of mozzarella cheese
grated Parmesan cheese

How to:
- Saute onion until tender
- Blend in flour, stirring until smooth
- Gradually add broths, water and cooking wine
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes
- Add pepper
-  Place 8 ovenproof serving bowls on a baking sheet (note: my bowls said microwave safe and nothing about the oven but they did just fine)
- Ladle soup into bowls, place bread on top and mozzarella on top of that, sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Broil 6 inches from heat until cheese melts.

Enjoy right away!

2 comments:

  1. I thought you were the one I heard the match trick from...? Light a match, blow it out, and hold the match between your teeth. The smell of it will keep the smell of the onion from infiltrating your sinuses, and it's the smell (not hidden fumes) that makes you cry.

    I really could have sworn I saw you post that on facebook...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly did see that... I guess it works for one onion, but not four.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts, ideas and questions! If you'd like to contact us additionally, email lindsay.bay@gmail.com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails Follow Me on Pinterest