Friday, July 10, 2009

But WHY, God?: Thoughts on Faith

I can't live without questioning every single thing. Even small things. Why do I like dark chocolate and dislike milk chocolate? Why did I go to Spokane and not Chicago last year? Why do I feel so tired? Why can Carolina never seem to beat Clemson?

God, why do I trust you?

I don't think the question is wrong. I already said I ask it all the time. If we ask WHY God has put us somewhere or WHY we're supposed to believe certain doctrines, we allow ourselves to look for an answer. And looking for an answer leads to having an answer and knowing, not doubting. Honestly asking Him why we should believe that God sent His Son as Savior or why we believe that He rose from the dead. Or why we're in a given situation. There's an answer. 

If we never wonder and question what we believe, then we won't look for the answers. If we never look for the answers, we'll never find the answers. We won't grow if we don't ask questions. We'll just stay the same. And the same gets old after awhile. Just imagine if no one ever asked why about anything. We'd be in the Dark Ages. 

This recent thought was brought about by several conversations with different people about different aspects of faith. I'm not sure that those people will read this, but thinking about it has allowed me to think and articulate for myself. 

So many people become Christians and then that's it. Fire insurance paid for by the blood of God. As if that's enough. 

Don't worry, I'm not saying His blood wasn't sufficient. I'm saying that some people never bother to make their faith their own because they never asked the all important "WHY?" They just believed what they were told. And believing something because someone said so, no matter how important or godly that person is, is never the reason to believe something. Your faith is based in GOD, not what other people think or believe. 

I know it sort of sounds wrong to say that I doubt sometimes. But seriously... I've wondered if the things I base my world on are true. I think that's valid. I think wanting to be sure that we know what we believe, why we believe it and searching God's word for an answer or asking Him or thinking about it a lot is good. Maybe even wise.

I don't mean to say that doubt is the right way to go all the time. Doubting Thomas wasn't really a Bible hero. I don't mean that we should act in unbelief but we should acknowledge that we're human and don't get it... and then go to the Source. It's okay to say "I know I'm supposed to believe this, God. I just want to know why

All it is, all it ever was, is about God. You and God. It's a relationship, NOT a religion. Not what other people tell you to believe, but what you believe. We can question and ask and interact. We believe certain things. Wouldn't you like to know why?

If you believe but don't know why you believe, why does it matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts, ideas and questions! If you'd like to contact us additionally, email lindsay.bay@gmail.com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails Follow Me on Pinterest