Friday, October 10, 2008

pearls with t-shirts

I told Mom before I left that I would continue to wear pearls with t-shirts, say "y'all" and try to throw in as much Southern-ness as I could. She held that I would return with Birkenstocks and a tie-dyed shirt. Heck no. For one, I can't afford the shoes. And the shirt? Wouldn't be caught dead. People here look pretty normal for the most part, but very few wear Rainbows and most look more grungy than preppy like back home.

Well, guess what? People around here do not say "y'all". They make fun of those who do. Especially when the offender says "y'all's" - apparently it isn't possessive (yes, I did know that it's incorrect but it's a horrible habit to say it anyway). Don't worry Mom, I'm holdin' in there! I've even caught the roommates throwing out a little "hey y'all" when they think I'm not listening. It's catchy.

And the pearl thing... I guess it's odd?
I've been told, "Hey, you know you still have that necklace on?"
"Mhmm, yeah, I know"
"Oh. Okay. I just didn't know if you knew you had pearls on with a t-shirt"
"Yep. I know, thanks!"

They don't know about Frogmore stew, talk about "That time when I had some crab... I think I was 13", and are amazed when I mention the water. I think someone needs to send a picture of the house because they're picturing some beachfront property... marsh is a foreign concept. i've been looked at funny when saying "I'm fixing to _____". I guess I should be looked at funny for that but haven't thought about it before. They say "cart" and not "buggy" at the grocery store, "pop" and not "soda", and they don't have highways... they're freeways. FREEEEWAYS, Lindsay.

And they chuckle when I pronounce the name of our town.

It's Bew-fort, y'all.

2 comments:

  1. that's right linds!!! oh this post put a huge smile on my face!!! :) i love you, you carolina girl! represent us well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getem' gurl ;) I'm so proud of you! Keep repin is well!
    I know you will :) and i too love you, you carolina girl!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts, ideas and questions! If you'd like to contact us additionally, email lindsay.bay@gmail.com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails Follow Me on Pinterest