Sunday, April 18, 2010

deserving nothing, getting everything.

A year ago, if you were to ask me what I'd be doing in twelve short months, I would NOT have thought I'd be at my own bridal shower. I would have laughed if someone were to even suppose that. "Engaged?" I'd say, "and who's the groom?"

And yet, the day has ended with a bridal shower behind me. I am richer in things for a new home and realizations about the place God has put me. I love when days end like this!

I sat in a living room as the center of attention, opening gifts. As I ripped open carefully taped sparkly paper and admired shiny new cookie sheets, I realized that twelve months ago, I knew no one in that room. Ten months ago, I'd briefly met a few of them. Two months ago, I met more of them. This afternoon I even met some of them. And because God orchestrated life the way He did, twenty-five or so people gathered today. How's that for "God is good"?

I never really thought that it was about getting showered with gifts anyway. I knew it was that the people who loved you spent time planning and shopping and giving advice. I just didn't realize that there would be so many people who would do that in such a short period of time. Some (new family) got up early this morning just to drive here for the shower!

They showered me (us, since I am not marrying myself, after all) with gifts. They showed me so much love. And they blessed me immeasurably. The advice given was out of years of struggles and triumphs as married women. The genuine interest and care... well, it was genuine. These are ladies who love the Lord, love my new family, and as a result, love me.

I did nothing to deserve this, except finally accept a date with that frustratingly persistent Carson Bay. And that's only after refusing and ignoring him (am I a gem or what? Thank you Carson for pursuing. Thank you God for making him pursue :) ). Clearly, God is in this and I can't take an ounce of credit. Clearly, I am where I am because God has put me here. I'm surrounded by tons of people I don't have much history with but couldn't imagine not having in my life. I live with people who call me daughter though I'm not.

Isn't that just like Him though? We deserve nothing but death (Hell) and God has given us everything - life by the death of His own Son... and then continues to give us great extra stuff. Like people who give you bridal showers and offer you jobs and give you motherly advice. Deserved? Nope. Entitled? Nope.

Humbled... well actually in this case, yes. I am humbled and grateful that I am where I am, that it is not because I am who I am but because God is who He is, and that He's led me here... and that it's so obvious to me that it is Him and not me. I can't imagine my life being anything other than what it is right now. But I said that a year ago.

So there you have it... I am

thankful

blessed

absolutely not entitled

absolutely rich in the people I get to know

...O magnify the Lord with me :)

1 comment:

Feel free to share your thoughts, ideas and questions! If you'd like to contact us additionally, email lindsay.bay@gmail.com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails Follow Me on Pinterest