Tuesday, September 8, 2009

True Obedience: A Thought Process

Obedience, true obedience, is NOT:

“This area needs to change in my life. I know that I need to stop doing it. I need to conquer it… but first, let me finish it up. I was enjoying it, and there’s only a little bit left. I should finish before I obey and give it up. God will understand. I’m still obeying!”

Children are taught this concept early*. When Mom says, “Turn off the TV and do your chores right now”, it means NOW. Obedience is turning off the TV immediately and doing chores – not finishing the program and then turning it off to do the chores.

True obedience, then, is obedience to the letter. When God shows something in my life that is hindering me or that is sin, true obedience means dropping that thing like a hot potato. Otherwise God gets second-best – we give Him a yawn-in-the-face when we show partial obedience.

Our hearts and minds should be so united to the truth, so renewed and revived in HIM that our lives are lived from truth: true obedience, true love, and true commitment. Partial obedience is fake obedience. “Partial” and “obedience are pretty much oxymorons”. A true God deserves a true heart; a heart that’s committed to being His for the taking.

True, pure obedient hearts make no excuse. They don’t think about it. They obey. They love the Lord with heart, soul mind and spirit, so fully that to stop and think “Should I obey?” isn’t a question, but contrary to their nature. Their minds have steeped in truth long enough so that second nature is obedience. Heart and mind are one with God. Purity and simplicity result and great joy fills up hearts**.

Lord, give my heart restoration. Renew me in Your truth. Set my mind on you, not this world. Give me a pure heart of love and devotion to You. Show me your truth and how to truly obey You. Show me Yourself!

* I feel obliged to say I came to this realization not all that long ago. It’s simple in its truth and I could really have saved myself from some harsh consequences. Ah, spankings. In many ways (mostly with God) it's still a constant struggle to wholeheartedly obey... an area I have difficulty reigning discipline over. I recommend prayer. It's been working very well.

** The picture reminded me of the freedom found in true obedience. It's fresh, freeing, and joyful. Truly. :)

1 comment:

Feel free to share your thoughts, ideas and questions! If you'd like to contact us additionally, email lindsay.bay@gmail.com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails Follow Me on Pinterest