Saturday, September 27, 2008

I'm Free!

Just some thoughts on a passage I read lately. It really stuck out and I had to share... this was copied from my journal. I really wanted to share some new pictures too but I'm on Molly's computer since mine's having some power cord issues right now. 

"It was for freedom that Christ set us free" Galatians 5:5

Everyone has motives. Good, bad, and rare is the person who has just ONE motive, and a good one at that, in mind. Not all are EVIL but by nature we're sinners... we're pretty much self-serving individuals and our minds are going to reflect that. 

Jesus is obviously THE best model of all time for how to live. His example is just so amazing and... wow. And He knows it. He wouldn't be GOD if HE didn't know that He was the best thing to hit the planet. 

The thing that strikes me is that Jesus wasn't self-seeking. He was totally here for other people. I think I forget that about 90% of of the time - that Jesus was here for others. I don't KNOW selfless people. There are people who are further than others but again, we have that sin nature. We CAN'T be perfect and selfless. I have no mental picture of what Jesus must have been like. Can you imagine?

And then this verse says "It was FOR FREEDOM that Christ set us free". When a prisoner is set free, it's not usually FOR FREEDOM. I say usually but of course mean this is NEVER done. He's set free because he met parole or because the charges were dropped. Nobody just hands a prisoner a key and says "See ya later, Pal". After they're released, they may be monitored, records kept on file... though physically they aren't in prison anymore, they are not truly FREE. The file is saved because it may one day be required again. The prisoner might return to the jail cell.

But in Christ, there is TRUE freedom. It can't be lost. We can't return to a jail cell one day... we can't be condemned to hell. Because we're free. We aren't watched or recorded or kept on file. This freedom is one of a kind and I haven't completely wrapped my little mind around it yet. FREE? NOTHING in our lives today is free (unless it's a trial version). 

But this freedom IS free. 
It cant be bought or we'd have an obligation to fulfill. 
It can't be earned because we have a sin nature and it would be like bribing God.
It can't be lost or there wouldn't be security, that true feeling of freedom. 
It can't have an ulterior motive because that, my friend, would not be pure freedom. 

It was for freedom that CHRIST set us free.

1 comment:

  1. Hi how are you? I find your site interesting and would like to invite you to become my blog friend.

    I have an art blog here in San Diego and am looking for new friends who will comment. I would of course come back and comment on your blog. I hope to hear from you, and take care... Jesse

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts, ideas and questions! If you'd like to contact us additionally, email lindsay.bay@gmail.com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails Follow Me on Pinterest