Wednesday, March 12, 2008

realizing what He's saying

There I was, sitting in the Mansell’s kitchen, holding a diapered lamb as I fed it out of a bottle. Ms. Sharon, Jillian and I sat around the island countertop, talking about things and what God was teaching us. I love talking to them. There is so much wisdom there, so much that goes straight back to God’s Word.

We shared a lot of things, and I love how when you're talking with others about what you've learned you really go, "Oh that's what God's teaching me!" when all your thoughts really come together and make sense :) I had one of those moments that I will share now: It is God that we are to seek, not God’s WILL, not God’s PLAN, not even God’s BEST. Seek God – plain and simple. If we are seeking His will, we aren’t really seeking Him; we’re seeking a byproduct from Him. If we seek His best, we’re looking to that, and not to Him. Basically, we have made a god (lowercase intentional) in our own image. We’re worshipping the product as we should be worshipping the Producer. I can’t tell you how many times I have sought for God’s will and not for God Himself. I want His best and it’s an honest desire, but sometimes… I go about it in a way that isn't right. If I am not seeking Him, I will not be satisfied. If I do not look to Him for the answers, I won't find them. He is the reason for living, not the secret to getting what we want.

I was telling Mom last night that all the times where I was really seeking God's will, He brought along something where all my trust had to be on Him. I just realized a few weeks ago that He was trying to show me to seek Him and not "God's Will".

"But as for me, I trust in YOu, O Lord, I say 'You are my God'. My times are in Your hand; Deliver me from the hand of my enemies and from those who persecute me." {Psalm 31:14-15}

5 comments:

  1. :) I have been thinking about those very thoughts...
    I have been thinking about all my many "gods"...how many there are! You know, I have realized that God doesn't want to be number one. He wants to be the only one.
    i love you dearly and enjoyed our time oh so much. muah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is cool. I've thought about it too... that we put so much emphasis on God's plan for us that we miss the GOD of the PLAN!

    Just a thought though... Do you (Lindsay and Jillian) think God wants to be not just number one, but the only one? If so... Why did God give Adam a job, in the Garden? Why did God create Eve? If God was supposed to be the "only One" then why all these other things? I'm not sure He wants to be the only One. He wants to be the Source of all good things... but that obviously means there are good things besides Him. He is number One, but certainly not the only One.

    Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is to be the only one that we worship. I know that He provides good things and that we're to use those things to glorify Him but really, our lives are all about HIM.
    Isolating ourselves into a little bubble and ONLY thinking about God, having no thoughts but those about HIM... that's unbiblical and... just sort of stupid.
    Our other desires and the things that we do should flow out of our relationship with Him. If that relationship isn't right, we can't enjoy the things He has created and can't praise Him through those things.
    He isn't "number one" at the top of a list, He isn't "just priority", He is God and I think we need to remember that. All good things flow from Him, all wisdom is from Him, but most importantly, He is God and we should give Him the worship and honor due Him because of that.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Whom have I in Heaven but You? And besides You, I desire nothing on earth."Ps. 73:25
    just a verse that came to mind. Goodness lindsay...you are so amazing at explaining things.
    :) love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would really like to know if this answered the question...?

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share your thoughts, ideas and questions! If you'd like to contact us additionally, email lindsay.bay@gmail.com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails Follow Me on Pinterest