Monday, February 23, 2015

Lasagna Soup

Lasagna... soup? It seemed worth a shot, somehow, and I'm so glad. I'm not really a soup person, but we both loved this and I bet you would too! It's much easier to make than actual lasagna and doesn't require you to turn on an oven. This was a pretty quick weeknight dinner that I was able to leave simmering while I finished up the laundry. I'd highly recommend!


Lasagna Soup
Adapted slightly from SkinnyTaste.

You'll Need:
(for the soup itself)
16oz sausage. Italian sausage was recommended, but I used whatever it was that we had in the freezer and added a bunch of spices and it was great. Ground beef would definitely work too
1/2 onion, chopped
2 crushed cloves garlic (I used minced garlic)
4 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, divided (I added more because I love parsley)
3 cups low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth 
2 1/2 cups water
2 cups marinara sauce (I used jarred)
2 bay leaves
black pepper
fresh spinach, chopped (as much as you'd like)
6 oz broken lasagna noodles (guessed on this measurement)

(for the topping - I eyeballed all of these measurements)

6 tbsp shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese
3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped

How-To:
Brown sausage in a big soup pot on the stove on medium heat. Add chopped onion and garlic and cook for two minutes. Add everything else. Simmer for about 30 minutes.
Meanwhile mix together ingredients for the topping. 
When you're ready to serve, just top each bowl with the cheese mixture. 

This made for great leftovers and gave us six really decent sized servings.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts, ideas and questions! If you'd like to contact us additionally, email lindsay.bay@gmail.com.

Related Posts with Thumbnails Follow Me on Pinterest